RE-CORD has a large experience in algae sector, thus can be a suitable partner for commercial as well as for research projects.
RE-CORD can support design and components selection for production plants. RE-CORD can also offer a large expertize in downstream processes for biorefinery initiatives.
Process design and energy saving
RE-CORD has been involved in microalgae projects since many years with the role to design innovative production plants.
RE-CORD focused its effort to reduce the energy consumption of the traditional systems and apply these innovation to large scale plants.
RE-CORD designed several complete plants of about 1 ha size, carrying out their energy balance.
Some publishable results of these works can be found in:
D. Chiaramonti, M. Prussi, D. Casini, M.R. Tredici, L. Rodolfi, N. Bassi, G. Chini Zittelli, P. Bondioli: Review of energy balance in raceway ponds for microalgae cultivation: Re-thinking a traditional system is possible. Appl Energy. Applied Energy 02/2013; 102:101–111. DOI:10.1016/j.apenergy.2012.07.040
Thermo-chemical conversion processes for biorefinery
Moreover RE-CORD is commissioning two Hydrothermal Liquefaction (HTL) plants:
- A batch reactor for defining the best operative conditions of HTL or HTC (carbonization);
- A continuous HTL/HTC reactor able to treat up to 10-15 l h-1.
On the possibility to use these technology for algae we recently prepared this paper (accepted for publication last week) on the international journal:
Review and experimental study on pyrolysis and hydrothermal liquefaction of microalgae for biofuel production. Applied Energy. IN PRESS
Our view about micro and macro-algae is to test HTL reactor in two parts of a biorefinery:
- at the beginning of the process, in order to try to use this technology for promote the separation of the compounds constituting the cells (i.e. oil);
- at the end of the process, to recover energy from the waste stream that inevitably will come out from the refinery, so to reduce the net energy consumption of the process, making it more sustainable.
- MAMBO (MicroAlgae as raw Material for Bio-Oil)
- BIOFAT (BIOfuel From Algae Technologies)
- ALGAEFUELS (Designing microalgae production plants)
The goal of the MAMBO Project, concluded in 2011, was to demonstrate the technical, economic and environmental feasibility of a microalgae plant producing more than 10 t ha-1 y-1 of oil to convert into biodiesel, testing different strains, using different production units and characterizing the oil extracted from the biomass. In particular, RE-CORD has designed prototypes of ponds, has monitored and measured the performances of the production units, performing also CDF analysis, so to construct scaled-up ponds (energy-efficient innovative cultivation systems). Moreover studies about vertical mixing and energy saving were carried on, testing also different water propulsion systems.
BIOFAT is a microalgae-to-biofuel FP7 demonstration project started in 2012 that integrates the entire value chain of algae process from optimized growth, starch and oil accumulation, to downstream processing (bio-refinery) including biofuel production. The Consortium member, Spike Renewables contributed to the final design of the 1-ha plant, in particular for the section regarding the low head innovative ponds. The Consortium has been also involved in the measurement of the plant performnces and the preliminary designing of the scale-up at 10-ha.
AlgaeFuels consortium coordinates a project of about 13 MUS$. Goal of the project is to demonstrate the production of feed and fuels from microalgae, recovering CO2 from the exhausts of a coal power plant. RE-CORD supported the process design and designed in details two different plants (in Mejillones and in La Tirana, Chile), proposing also the components constituting the plants.
- D. Chiaramonti, M. Prussi, D. Casini, M.R. Tredici, L. Rodolfi, N. Bassi, G. Chini Zittelli, P. Bondioli: Review of energy balance in raceway ponds for microalgae cultivation: Re-thinking a traditional system is possible. Appl Energy. Applied Energy 02/2013; 102:101–111. DOI:10.1016/j.apenergy.2012.07.040
- P. Bondioli, L. Della Bella, G. Rivolta, G. Chini Zittelli, N. Bassi, L. Rodolfi, D. Casini, M. Prussi, D. Chiaramonti, M.R. Tredici: Oil production by the marine microalgae Nannochloropsis sp F&M-M24 and Tetraselmis suecica F&M-M33. Bioresource Technology 03/2012; 114:567-72. DOI:10.1016/j.biortech.2012.02.123
- MR Tredici, N Bassi, M Prussi, N Biondi, L Rodolfi, G Chini Zittelli, G Sampietro. Energy balance of algal biomass production in a 1-ha “Green Wall Panel” plant: How to produce algal biomass in a closed reactor achieving a high Net Energy Ratio. 2015. Applied Energy.
- M. Prussi, M. Buffi, D. Casini, D. Chiaramonti, F. Martelli, M. Carnevale, M.R. Tredici, L. Rodolfi: Experimental and numerical investigations of mixing in raceway ponds for algae cultivation. Biomass and Bioenergy 08/2014; 67:390–400. DOI:10.1016/j.biombioe.2014.05.024
- D. Chiaramonti, M. Prussi, D. Casini, M.R. Tredici, L. Rodolfi, N. Bassi, G. Chini Zittelli, P. Bondioli: Review of energy balance in racewayponds for microalgaecultivation: Re-thinking a traditionalsystemispossible. Appl Energy. Applied Energy 02/2013; 102:101–111. DOI:10.1016/j.apenergy.2012.07.040
- P. Bondioli, L. Della Bella, G. Rivolta, G. Chini Zittelli, N. Bassi, L. Rodolfi, D. Casini, M.Prussi, D. Chiaramonti, M.R. Tredici: Oil production by the marine microalgaeNannochloropsissp F&M-M24 and Tetraselmissuecica F&M-M33. Bioresource Technology 03/2012; 114:567-72. DOI:10.1016/j.biortech.2012.02.123
BOOK CHAPTERS and CONFERENCE PROCEEDING
- G.M. Benucci, D. Casini, M. Cocchi, D. Chiaramonti, A. Grassi, F. Peri, M. Prussi, L. Taddei Pardelli, P. Taddei Pardelli: Design of micro algae photobioreactors in modular alveolar coextruded polycarbonate panels as ventilated facades in the architectural system. IBSCE – SHANGHAI 2015; 10/2015
- D. Chiaramonti, M. Prussi, M. Buffi, D. Casini, A.M. Rizzo: Thermochemical Conversion of Microalgae: Challenges and Opportunities. The 7th International Conference on Applied Energy (ICAE2015): Clean, Efficient and AffordableEnergy for a Sustainable Future, Milan; 08/2015
- M. Prussi, D. Chiaramonti, M. Tredici, L. Rodolfi, N. Bassi, D. Casini: Energetic assessment of 1 ha microalgae production plant. 1st EABA and EC AlgaeContractors’ Conference, and the 8th International AlgaeCongress, Florence; 12/2014
- M. Prussi, D. Chiaramonti, D. Casini, L. Rodolfi, N. Bassi, F. Bacci, P. Bondioli, L. Della Bella, G. Rivolta, G. Chini Zittelli, M.R. Tredici: Improved raceway ponds for microalgae production. ISAF - XIX International Symposium on AlcoholFuels "Development and utilisation of alcoholfuels, to promote sustainability", Verona; 10/2011
- M.Prussi, D. Chiaramonti, D. Casini, L.Rodolfi, N. Bassi, F. Bacci, P.Bondioli, L. Della Bella, G. Rivolta, G. Chini Zittelli, M.R. Tredici: Optimization of the Algae Production in Innovative Ponds - The MAMBO Project. 19th EuropeanBiomass Conference and Exhibition, Berlin; 06/2011
- P. Bondioli, L. Della Bella, G. Rivolta, M. Prussi, D. Casini, D. Chiaramonti, G. Chini Zittelli, N. Bassi, L. Rodolfi, M.R. Tredici: Oil Production by the Marine Microalga Nannochloropsis sp. F&M-M24. 18th EuropeanBiomass Conference and Exhibition, Lion; 05/2010